Sunday, June 3, 2012

Grandmother of the Bride!


My granddaughter, Jessica, is getting married August 4th to Matt (who we all love!). Amid all the excitement there is angst…and I’m not talking about what the bride is going through. I’m talking about me.

I do not own any fancy clothes. I never was a social butterfly and in retirement I cast off all my work clothes (which consisted of dresses, skirts and dress pants). Now I have good jeans, not so good jeans, and workout tights.

I hate shopping
Because I need to be dressed properly for the wedding (and rehearsal dinner) I actually went into the malls in search of… I put my foot down at wearing a dress, so it was an elegant pantsuit that I was looking for. I found a jacket and top in taupe with design and sparkly stuff on them. Brought them home and began the search for pants to match/complement. Ended with three pair of pants along with a pair of shoes and clutch. They hung on the closet door (along with the jacket and top) for about a week. Returned everything…EVERYTHING…and started all over.

I finally settled on a Wedgwood blue jacket and top with sparkly things (same style as the taupe set). Even though I vowed I would not wear black, the only pants that pair with the tops…are black chiffon. I bit the bullet. This is a late afternoon wedding, so it should be fine. Also found silver shoes with sparkly stones all over them. I still need a silver clutch bag, but I may be able to borrow one.

So far, so good. Now, how about the rehearsal dinner? I bought two articles of clothing and returned both of them (sound familiar?). Finally pieced together a summery outfit with contrasting accessories. I’m being vague, because I’m keeping this outfit as a surprise. If any of my family reads this, that alone should make them quiver! (OMG, what IS she going to wear?)

As a nice touch, I’m wearing a pendant for the dinner and a necklace for the wedding that belonged to my late mother. It will be nice thinking that my mom is there and sharing in the joy.

All this has been very traumatic for me, but, because I started early, it’s all behind me and I can relax.

I expect I will have pictures to share so everyone will be able to see how stunning (sparkly) I was at the wedding.