Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Treasured Bike Ride




















Photos
Sunflowers – farm implement sculpture made into lamps to illuminate the end of the driveway. This is the best such sculpture I’ve seen in the town of Windsor.

Yesterday's bike ride
Yesterday Jessica and I rode my Four Windsors bike route. For any newcomers, this bike route is all on-road and covers all four towns that have Windsor as part of their name—Windsor, Windsor Locks, East Windsor and South Windsor. The ride takes one up one side of the Connecticut River and down the other side in a loop. Along the way there are many historical sites to take in if one is so inclined. If not, it’s just a nice ride.

I’ve done this ride a dozen times (at least), but for some reason, my back muscles from neck to tailbone hurt. I was very stiff after the ride. I have ridden this route at least once before since I had my bike-fit, so I don’t think that was it.

I will keep riding, however, until I can no longer get on a bike.

Jessica is my lucky charm
The universe handed me four Treasures along our 22-mile ride. One was a “farm implement sculpture” I had never seen before on a street I had never observed before. Windsor has several scrap metal sculptures, but this is the best one I’ve seen.

THEN at the Loomis-Chaffee school campus we ran into Fritz, a part-time groundskeeper who thinks he can put me in touch with the school historian AND get me a private tour of the Deacon Loomis house.

THEN while on the banks of the Farmington River (just resting in the shade) we got a chance to fill out a survey of how we use the Farmington River waterway. The survey will help with keeping the watershed pristine and scenic.

Of course the biggest treasure of the whole day was having Jess riding with me. I hope she enjoyed all the history lessons I kept throwing her way. I love riding through this segment of historic CT and, always the teacher, I love to share what I know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm also into those things. care to give some advice?

Beverly Titus said...

Whether you have a lot of history in your area or not, you can always map out an interesting ride. Make sure it's within your ability. If you are not a strong rider don't do a route that has a lot of hills. Keep your riding happy and you'll do more of it. You can always put your bike on a rack and drive to so many rail trails all over these United States. Happy pedaling!

L.J. Ferrari said...

I too am an avid bike rider and have been for 3 years.I always say until they have to pry the Handle bars from my cold dead hands I will keep riding. I hope you feel better. Like Beverly said put a bike rack your car and visit the trails all over Connecticut...I love the one in Niantic along the ocean..Then of coarse there is Gramby to Simsbury.That is beautiful also...I could go on and on..Have fun and take care...