Sunday, June 29, 2008

An Evening to Remember

Photo
This was taken on the Ashuwillticook rail trail in northwestern Massachusetts. Click on the photo to enlarge and look at the clouds on the right. Doesn't it look like a person running very fast toward a football? Come on! It does too!

Peaberry’s Café
For the last few months I have wanted to get over to Peaberry’s Café in Simsbury, CT for their Artspeak event that is soft jazz and poetry. I finally got there last night!

Quoting directly from their promo piece, Peaberry's, a great alternative to the local bar scene, is a cosy (sic) little cafe that seeks to give local artists support, a voice, and a venue!

Poets, and lovers of poetry, this is a great place to spend a couple of hours on a Saturday night. Artspeak is offered the 4th Saturday of every month from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. This is a family place so the poetry you hear is not the off the wall, raunchy stuff (that I find offensive). It’s good clean fun.

Music accompanies the poets courtesy of a 3-piece band of two guitars and a sound-board (I don’t know what else to call it!) like nothing I’ve ever seen before. That alone, is worth a trip to Peaberry’s. These guys are good—able to match the content and mood of the poem.

They do a mean bump and grind accompaniment!
I had a mildly sassy poem, “Why Condo Associations Won’t Allow Clotheslines” and just for fun asked for some bump and grind. Did they ever. Words cannot convey how much fun that was with this 72 yr old being taken over by my alter ego (some might say my evil twin), doing justice to the poem and the music. I wish there had been a video running. I would love to see that one! My children would have most definitely been embarrassed. ☺☺

If you are so inclined, put the dates of July 26th and August 23rd on your calendar and get out to Peaberry’s, 7:30 to 9:30. Google “Peaberry’s, Simsbury, CT” to get directions. See you there in August.

PS: I think they have other open mike nights for strictly music every Wednesday night. Go to their open mike website for more information. Give them a call and tell them you saw it on my blog! And they will say, “Who?” ☺ and you will say, “the bump and grind poetry lady.” They will probably say, “Oh, yes! Now I know who you mean!” ☺☺☺

No comments: