Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Price of Bird Seed!




Photo:
This is a stand-off. Click on the photo to enlarge and you will barely see the chipmunk in the grass. I put a white arrow pointing to the chippy so you could find it. It was not going to let that squirrel get anywhere near the pile of seed.

Squirrels! Yesterday there were at least eight squirrels and two chipmunks pigging out at the pile of dumped seed. Now that I want a picture of the gang dining, there’s not a squirrel to be found. I dumped another pile of seed hoping to get at least a couple of them. Gives new meaning to “squirrley!” I’m not sure if I’m referring to them or me. ☺

Bumper crop
I don’t know about you, but in my neighborhood there is an explosion in the population of squirrels. That is not good news. These rodents can’t seem to get enough to eat and can’t remember where they stashed the excess storage.

If you remember, about 3 or so years ago, we had no acorns to speak of. The scientific explanation I heard was that the squirrel population was out of control, so in order to bring things back into balance, Mother Nature ordered the oak trees to stop production of acorns. The following spring the birth rate was way down. Then the oaks resumed production.

It will be interesting to see what the acorn production is like this fall.

Lousy bird food
I went to Agway to get more bird seed. We get so much pleasure out of watching the birds that I gave in (I don’t usually feed the birds past May). The cost of the seed I normally buy (sunflower hearts) was up to $35 for a 20 lb. bag! Holy Moly! Last year it was $23 and the year before $16. No way was I going to pay $35. So I bought a different brand for $16.

You get what you pay for
I loaded the feeder with the new seed and within five minutes I had no birds. The goldfinch, titmouse, nuthatch, chickadee, wren and cardinal had all deserted my yard. I was left with grackles, blue jays and purple finch. Even the woodpeckers were not coming as frequently. I have nothing against these birds. I just like to see a little color and hear the beautiful songs of the deserters. Without hesitation I hustled my butt back to Agway and bought the outrageously expensive seed. The pleasure we get from the birds is worth it.

Now, what to do with all the seed my birds turned their beaks up at? I will be contributing to the increase in the squirrel population. The chipmunks are pretty happy, too. Both groups will be oinking by this time tomorrow.

2 comments:

momof4 said...

That picture is funny. We've had an increase in chipmonks here this year. They are all over the place and have gotten pretty close to us also. Don't know what it is about them this year.

I've been thinking about getting a bird feeder. What kind of food do you recommend to get the most birds?

Beverly Titus said...

For general population of birds I feed sunflower hearts. The finches also love thistle which is their high energy food during the cold winter months.