Monday, June 2, 2008

The "Beat" Goes On


Photo
I have used this photo before, but it comes closest to how I see the minds of the Beat Poets mentioned below.

What's Happening?
Not much has been happening! That being said, why don’t I have time to do things? I guess I no longer have good time management skills. Quite frankly, Scarlet, I don’t ………!

Yesterday I did go for a good bike ride. I did my “Ride the Four Windsors” ride with the intention of mapping out the route with mileage notations between features along the way. I hope to post this ride on the website, http://ctbikeroutes.org/. If you are a bike rider this is a good place to find well presented bike rides for all abilities.

Beat Generation of Poets
This week is the Connecticut Beat Poetry Festival. I am not a Beat Poet. Before this festival, I was not familiar with Beat Poetry. Now that I have had a chance to read some of this poetry, I don’t think I’ll ever be a big fan of Beat. I did, however, enjoy some of Gary Snyder’s poetry. On the other hand, Jack Kerouac seems to be in another dimension. Read his poem, The Scripture of the Golden Eternity and tell me which reality this man is in touch with. What is scary, there are parts of that poem where I actually think I understand what he’s trying to say. Burroughs, Ginsberg, Ferlinghetti—all beyond this poor brain’s capacity to comprehend. These poets were drugged out of their minds and what they wrote came from a hell-hole alternative reality, perhaps a non-reality. If you are interested in reading any of their works, you can go to the library or Google their names as I did.

All of the above being said, I will be attending several of the venues this week in support of poet friends of mine who will be hosting or reading. Perhaps I will come away with a greater appreciation of the Age Of Beat.

No comments: