Thursday, May 14, 2009

More (and more) Veggies

What is so funny about my talking about recipes lately is that I’m actually using them and reporting on how I liked the result. A couple weeks ago I did the roasted veggies and said that next time I would use a different variety of vegetables.

Yesterday I took :
2 small summer squash
2 small zucchini
1 orange bell pepper
1 bunch asparagus (snapped at it’s “tender point”)
1 8 oz package baby bella mushrooms
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
Chop and/or slice everything but the asparagus and combine all of that (almost filled a 1 gal. plastic bag to store in fridge until I was ready to roast them) with a couple teaspoons minced garlic and ¼ cup melted butter in a large glass baking dish, and roast in 450° oven. (See April 11, A Taste of Veggies) I checked the vegetables (taste test) after 15 minutes and gave everything a good tossing to mingle the juices, garic and veggies. Back in the oven for 7 more minutes. Then I shut the oven off and let the veggies use up the rest of the heat.

In the meantime I whipped one cooked, medium red potato (with skin on), and fried half a chicken breast in butter and olive oil.

The result is I ate pretty darned good. The combination of vegetables was much better than the first time. I think I have nailed it.

The veggies do well in the refrigerator for follow up meals. On Saturday and Sunday, I plan to chop some of the left overs and add to scrambled eggs.

Next?
In this morning’s paper, there was a recipe for a broccoli-cheese casserole (side dish). I will try it and I will report the results.

No comments: