Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Raccoon Damage...Again




Make sure you click on each photo to enlarge. The damage deserves a close-up look.

Top photo shows the feeder as I saw it this morning. At least the feeder was still hanging on the line.

The middle photo shows the mechanism that closes the "gate" over the seed tray. That stops the squirrels from getting all the seeds. However, look closely at the piece that projects from the bar. It belongs in the hole you see above it. I could not put that "stick out thing" into the hole without a screwdriver to pry it into place.

Bottom photo...look at the metal plate at the left rear. See how it's bent out? It's not supposed to do that. It's supposed to be flat against the feeder...that's part of the hanger.

Now what? Right now I can't get a new feeder, so I will take this one in at night and store it in the garage. Every morning I will put it back on the line. Hopefully, after a few days the raccoons will have forgotten all about it and I can hang it out over night again. Also, I will stop throwing out crusts of bread for the birds and squirrels.

No comments: