Monday, May 18, 2009

Shepherds Pie w/Roasted Veggies


Photo: Mashed potatoes really aren’t photogenic, but I want you t see the size of the dishes. Each dish is 2 cups.

I told you I was going to try this and I did. I made it today and I must say it was good. The ground meat could use more seasoning (maybe Mrs. Dash’s Italian Seasoning), but all in all, I was happy with my experiment.

Here’s the recipe

New Shepherds Pie Using Leftover Roasted Vegetables
½ lb. ground meat
diced onions to taste
left over roasted vegetables
1 large potato

In a frying pan, sauté onions then add ground meat and continue cooking until meat is thoroughly cooked.

In the mean time, peel and cook the potato. When cooked, add pat of butter, a little milk, and whip with electric mixer.

After cutting the leftover vegetables into even smaller pieces, heat in the microwave oven.

Once everything is cooked/warmed begin layering into individual serving dishes. Dishes shown above hold two cups each.

Layer the ground meat on the bottom; next the veggies; top with mashed potato. The veggies will have liquid at the bottom of the dish so divide that, too, between the two dishes.

Can be reheated in microwave if serving immediately.
or
Refrigerate for a future meal and heat in microwave before serving.

Serves 2 hearty appetites. For me, I will get three meals out of the two dishes.

No comments: