Saturday, March 8, 2008

Bits and Pieces

Photo
Lock 29 in Palmyra, NY on the Erie Canal. I'm getting anxious to get back on my bike to start training for the grueling 9 days in the saddle when Kathy and I ride the entire length of the Erie Canal in September. We will see this sight at the end of Day 3.

Let’s catch up with Mom’s situation
Mom was discharged from the hospital on Wed., February 27th. The catheter was removed and I really was apprehensive about her plumbing’s ability to work on its own. It didn’t. The next afternoon it was another trip to the ER (that’s 3 so far) to have the “tank” drained and a catheter put in – to remain until she could see a urologist.

Urologist seen and catheter removed. Plumbing seems to be working so far. The visiting nurses come every day to check up on her and her plumbing. She also has a Home Health Aide who comes in twice a week to help her shower. Today we are expecting a physical therapist who will come to evaluate her ability to move about the house and her safety in the home – you know, rugs, hand holds in the bathroom and that sort of stuff. Nothing has changed since the last therapist was here a couple years ago.

Sports

Last night at the Big East Conference banquet, Maya Moore, freshman UConn player, made history. She is the first Big East freshman ever, men or women, to be named PLAYER OF THE YEAR! Her demeanor on and off the court is nothing but poised. She quietly goes about her business, doing what she need to do and does best. A lot of hoop-la around the young woman, but you’ll get no hoop-la from her.

River Adventure

I have #3 in my Connecticut River Island Adventure series ready to go, but I’m waiting for permission to use certain information. I don’t like to identify people in my blog unless I get their OK. First names are fine, but full identification requires permission as far as I’m concerned. Also, Bonnie spotted an error in my identification of the rock wall. I said it was man-made. It is not. It is nature’s own and I thank Bonnie for pointing that out to me. I had to enlarge the photo and take another close look. My memory is not good to begin with, and I'm trying to remember what happened 8 months ago. ☺