Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Connecticut River Island Adventure #2




Photos
Top left: Bonnie Enes took this picture as we headed out from the launch area.
Top right: The railroad bridge south of Terry's Island.
Bottom left: Bonnie is happy with our landing spot and contemplates our next move.
Bottom right: Stone wall (originally identified as man-made but Bonnie has asked me to look closer and it is, indeed nature's own). I am always open to correction.
Click on any photo to enlarge.

Leaving dry land behind
I had not paddled a canoe in years. This time, with a cooperative paddling partner behind me, it was very easy.

I was awestruck by the enormity of the river. Being on it is so much different than being beside it. It is much wider than I realized. Conversely, the current didn’t seem as swift once I was in it—keep in mind we are in the middle of the rapids. From the riverbank, specifically the bike path, it looks a lot faster. Bill tells us it is a lot more dangerous than it looks.

We struck out from the Enfield boat launch area and paddled straight toward the west bank. I hit rocks a couple times with my paddle because I took too deep a bite. The bottom was not visible due to the angle of the mid-morning sunlight, and it wasn’t until we got out into the middle of the west channel and turned south that the rocks right under us became visible.

From this vantage point the width of the river made me feel so small. As I gazed from right to left then straight ahead, I had a new respect for her. About a half mile south of the island is the railroad bridge that crosses over the river (and the bike path) from Enfield to Windsor Locks. How do I know the Connecticut River is a she? It just feels right.

Terry’s Island is one mile long and we paddled the length of it coming ashore at the southern tip. Under Bill’s guidance I managed to hold our position with my paddle while he made whatever corrections were necessary to get us safely landed. As we neared the island, the rocks were closer to the surface and the current stronger. We landed on a narrow, sandy strip wide enough to accommodate the canoe. Our sneakers barely got wet as we clambered out.

After Bill secured the canoe, our adventure of exploration began by climbing onto the rock wall then scampering up a rather steep but short sandy path through the long grass.

(to be continued)