Sunday, March 16, 2008

Mushroom Identification Part I




Photos
Mushrooms photographed on Terry's Island. These are the ones I named using 03 for identification.


This is the first of two postings of similar looking mushrooms we found on Terry’s Island.

I went to a mushroom expert for identification. Michael refers to the photos I sent him as the “03 series” which is how I had named them. Just know that what he says in this excerpt from his email refers to these three photos in today’s posting. I like to think they look like an elephant’s ears and trunk. You might see something else and that’s up to you! ☺


From: MushroomExpert Com
Those look like polypores to me--specifically, species of Ganoderma. There are two very similar species, Ganoderma tsugae and Ganoderma lucidum, that more or less qualify as matches for your mushrooms. G. tsugae grows on the wood of conifers, and in the 03 series photos, the mushroom is clearly growing on a conifer log (the log's dead branches come out in whorled intervals, like a Christmas tree's branches, indicating conifer).
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/ganoderma_tsugae.html http://www.mushroomexpert.com/polyporales.html
Best wishes,
Michael

Ok. That takes care of the 03 photos. I will do another post of the 04 photos, excerpting from Michael's email so you can have his expert identification.