Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Connecticut River Island Adventure #4





Photos
Top left
: Our trusty canoe is waiting to take us home.

Top right
: Wide open landscape makes for easy hiking. Notice the tree on the ground. I thought the dead branches sticking up made it look like skeletal remains of a large beast. (Yes, I do have a very active imagination.)

Bottom left
: Looking east toward Enfield from the southern tip of the island.

Bottom right
: Stone circle. If this is supposed to be a campfire, it shows no signs of being used. What else might it be?


Making sure we return to the right place.

At the beginning of our adventure, we rendezvoused with Bill on a road parallel and close to the river. Bill placed a very visible marker close to the water’s edge to guide us back. We left my car there and proceeded to the Enfield Boat Launch in Bill’s truck.


Leaving the island.

As mentioned before, after lunch we hiked the island north to south and took more pictures. Our canoe was waiting for us, and, after donning our life jackets, we were once again on the river. This time we aimed for a point on the east bank. It was an easy paddle, letting the current carry us south and east toward Bill’s marker. I was grateful for another opportunity to enjoy the river’s majesty and beauty from this new point of view.


We made landing and pulled the canoe part way out of the water. Bonnie stayed with the canoe and I took Bill back to the boat launch to get his truck.


I would like to comment (scream is more like it) on the trash that is all along the riverbank. It saddens me to know there are uncaring, thoughtless, people who treat the river and its embankments as their personal trash heap and toilet. We have such a beautiful waterway, and to see it defiled in this way makes my blood boil.


I’m looking forward to the account of the island’s history and geology Bonnie and Bill are collaborating on. As soon as I hear it has been published I’ll let you know. Unfortunately there is no website to which I can link. Bummer!

Well, that’s it folks. This is the last of the series regarding the adventure itself. I will be posting a few more times, but that will be just pictures. I’d love to go out to the island again in order to spend more time. I know it has a lot of stories to tell. I’d like to sit quietly and see if one of them comes to me, asking to be written.


Kathy has a canoe. Maybe she and I can go out there this summer.


Note: Unless otherwise credited, all photos were taken by me.


(to be continued)