Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bracketology

















Photo
Safe passage through a swampy area at Stebbins Wildlife Preserve in Longmeadow, MA.

This is how I see it.
I have filled out my brackets in both the men’s and women’s NCAA championship tournament.

Men’s: Memphis will knock UConn out in the Elite 8. The Final 4 combatants will be…Memphis, Louisville, Syracuse and Duke. Memphis and Syracuse will battle it out for the championship with Memphis taking the prize. Too bad President Obama didn’t see my brackets before he published his.

I didn’t expect it to work out this way. I do not like Coach Calipari going back to his days at UMass. After Marcus Camby bailed to avoid his scandalous conduct, Calipari bailed right after him. Calipari knew all the while what Camby was up to, but turned a blind eye. (all my opinion only) Just because I don’t like the man personally, doesn’t mean I have to ignore the fact that he has a very good team.

Women’s: I see Tennessee getting knocked off in the Elite 8 by Duke. No love lost there. Going into the Final 4 I have UConn, Stanford, Maryland and Oklahoma. The Championship game will be between UConn and Oklahoma and, of course, UConn will take the trophy.

You may have guessed I don’t care for Tennessee. This is a classic case of a team truly mirroring their coach. Coach Summitt may be a good coach, I just don’t care for the way she coaches. My feelings go back to the days when Lobo, Rissotti, and Wolters were playing. Summitt came across as so mean and miserable I could not like her personally. I felt sorry for her team. Still do.

As you can see, basketball, for me, goes beyond the game…it deals in personalities, too. I love Geno; don’t really care for Calhoun.

2 comments:

Michelle Rittler said...

I think a lot of people feel the same way you do about the UConn/Tennessee rivalry. I remember the days of Lobo, Rissotti, and Wolters, too. (I still have a picture of me with some members of that team back when I toured UConn when deciding which college to attend!) Dad and I would watch the games religiously. But when all was said and done, we both agreed that as much as we disagreed with Summitt's coaching style, we still respected her for her accomplishments.

It got more complicated after I found out that Summitt and I are members of the same sorority. ;-)

Beverly Titus said...

Poor Michelle! Pat Summitt must be a good coach to have lasted so long and have so many wins, but her personality leaves much to be desired. It must be tough, as a UConn fan knowing you are a Sorority Sister. My condolences! :-))