Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Major Catch Up



Photo
This is the new logo for our poetry series. Riverwood will be hosting a poetry festival from June 24 through 28. More info and a web address will be posted here as soon as available.

The name represents the two main venues for the series is Wood Memorial Library (South Windsor) and The Buttonwood Tree (Middletown). Both venues have "wood" in their name and both are close to the Connecticut River.

Avon Mountain
In the process of car buying, I had to drive over Avon Mountain several times. There is one stretch, west bound, that is downhill, but any car I have ever driven on that stretch seems to lose speed. That doesn’t make sense…going downhill and can’t maintain speed. Even pressing hard on the gas pedal doesn’t do anything. Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve heard it is caused by reverse magnetism. Is there such a thing? Whatever it is, it’s spooky.

Naming cars
I have been asked if I name all of my cars. Yes, I pretty much name my cars. It started with my 1980 yellow Pinto that I named Buttercup and in her dowager years became The Lady Buttercup. Next my Chevy Nova was named Nova. How original. Then my Saturn was named Celeste (for celestial). Now I have my Fit and Hissy just seemed right. I want to get her name painted right above the word “FIT” on the rear lid. Between that and the Cape Cod Canal Tunnel Permit bumper sticker I have to replace (I had one on my Saturn), I hope to cause a few people to smile.

On the home front
Things at home are very quiet because my mother has been in the nursing home since January 26th. When she went in she couldn’t walk…she was that weak. After a week she was taking a few steps. Now she is able to take her walker out of her room and do a little hall walking. She is determined to come home and continues to amaze us, especially when you consider we didn’t think she was going to live after her surgery.

Next Wednesday she will come home for about an hour, under the watchful eye of a physical therapist, to see how she functions in her home space. We’ll see how that goes. We need to be certain she is strong enough to manage daily activities. I need to be confident that she will be OK if I leave her for a couple hours or more in order to go grocery shopping, a doctor's appointment, or attend a poetry event.

Poetry
Poetry readings have been going well. In addition to Wood Memorial Library and Buttonwood Tree, I recently read at the West Hartford Art League.

During the month of March, the Riverwood Poetry Series board of directors have been invited to read poetry in conjunction with the 9th Annual Women composers Festival of Hartford (presented by The Friends of Women Composers Society). We will be reading at three different venues: Konover Hall, University of Hartford; Tisane’s Restaurant, Farmington Ave., Hartford; and the Unitarian Meeting House, Bloomfield Ave. in Hartford. For more information on the Entire Festival, go to www.heatherhouseproductions.com or call (860) 389-4884.

Taste as you go
I have added a new link (under Other Blogs Worth Reading) to the website www.tasteasyougo.com. I worked with Michelle’s dad at Connecticut Natural Gas before I retired. I think you will like her site. Check it out.

1 comment:

Michelle Rittler said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Beverly! I'm actually working on a new blog post (restaurant review) right now! :-)