Sunday, December 6, 2009

First Non-Snowstorm of the Year



















We were prepped and primed for 2 to 6 inches. I was hoping for more that three. Less than three inches and my snow blower is useless and I have to shovel.

The photos above tell the story! The driveway was a layer of ice with a dusting of snow on top. The deck out back had a thin “fuzz” of ice with about an inch of snow on top.

What happened?
My driveway was warm when the snow started so the snow melted on contact. It was very wet by the time the temperature got low enough to make the snow stick then everything froze.

Scramble
I wasn’t concerned about the driveway…no one is going to come out on the day after a snow storm to look at houses. WRONG!

My real estate agency called...I have someone coming between 4 and 4:30 this afternoon. I flew out the door and found I could shovel away most of the ice at the end of the driveway. Between the sun and whatever application the town put down to stop the roads from freezing were working in my favor. I ran to the hardware store to get some de-icer and threw that on the places where ice was stubbornly clinging to the steps and driveway.

I gave it a while to work…I actually ran over to the nursing home to see my mother and collect her laundry…and when I got back the de-icer had done its job.

BUT
Now the driveway is pretty much ice free, but it’s wet. If it doesn’t dry before the temperatures start going down again, IT’S GOING TO FREEZE ALL OVER AGAIN.

Smart!
When I was cleaning out the garage, getting ready to put the house on the market, I gave Andy my buckets of sand. I didn’t think I’d need them again. What was I thinking?

At least folks won’t be dragging sand all through my house. They may slip and damage their derrière, but there will be no sand on their shoes.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with these problems...both the snow/ice issues and the body issues are mirrored by me. And I haven't any sand either! ha ha