Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Real Snow Storm


The forecast was for snow followed by torrential rains. So when I measured 4” of snow and it was changing over to rain, my assumption was: the rain will get rid of the snow.

Do not ever assume
Thinking I would not have to do any snow removal, I proceeded with my full body workout. This is only the second week I’ve been doing these particular exercises, so I can count on some muscle soreness for the next two days.

By late morning it was obvious the torrential part of rain was not going to happen and I had water compacted snow in the driveway plus the piled up glop at the end of the driveway.

Small bites
I shoveled (tiny bit by tiny bit) a 3-4 foot strip of the glop at the end of the driveway (that was full of water and very heavy), then I did the same thing up near the garage. I fired up the snow blower and tackled the rest of the driveway. Snow blower is not a proper term for how it handled this stuff…snow plopper is more descriptive. Eventually the driveway, front steps and walk were clean as a whistle.

How fatigued?
And I was physically spent. I managed to make lunch and once I got into my chair in front of the TV I promptly fell asleep. You know how they tell you to work your muscles to the point of “muscle failure.” In other words, until you cannot do one more rep. That’s how my entire body felt.

Back on track
It’s not a good idea for me to work out and do heavy yard work in the same 3 hour period. It just goes to show how out of shape I am. I will not use my age as an excuse. I have been sedentary this year but that has come to an end. I have turned over a new leaf and will get my body back in shape.

Physical improvements already
After the first two workouts last week I noticed I could walk without my right hip flexor hurting. That’s huge! As a bonus, I am able to turn over in bed without that “spot” in my sacral area hurting. If I can do that in just two sessions, just imagine what I can accomplish in 2 months!

I have an appointment with my chiropractor, Dr. Jen Veit, for a tune-up. I’m sure she will “unlock” the sacral area so I can move better. I lock up on the left, which causes me to compensate thus causing discomfort on the right. I’ll be much better after I see her.

No comments: