Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Christmas Ah-Ha Moment


Peace on Earth to men of good will

These words came to me as I was contemplating my desire to avoid all controversy, especially political. This has been a recurring theme in e-mails received over the last couple of years, especially. I have been guilty of it myself in the past but I will no longer take that path.

Why don’t we have peace on earth? I guess it’s because we don’t have enough men of good will.

Is there any country in the world today that is not engaged in war? If it isn’t war with another country it’s a war with its own people…genocide.

I keep hearing about left wing and right wing and, honestly, I can never keep it straight which is which. But I do know that there is nothing that can fly on just one wing. No bird, no plane, no politician. If only one wing is operating, what is the other one doing? To not help with flight is to crash that which is trying to fly. Does that make sense? To be deliberately debilitating does not speak well for the reluctant wing.

So let’s cut to the chase: why do politicians do this? They have an agenda, which is based on greed and fear of lack. It becomes very personal. Where do their constituents come in? From what I can see, we don’t. Where has honesty and acting for the good of the whole gone?

Now lets talk about a governing body that is referred to as sitting on one side of the aisle or the other. Apparently someone drew a line that is never supposed to be crossed, and when it is all hell breaks lose. No wonder nothing gets done in our states’ and nation’s capitol. Everyone is too damned focused on “What’s In It For Me?”

And in the political process, there are lies about the other “side” from both sides. To the point where someone like me, doesn’t know who to believe any more and so I shut down completely. Is that the way politics is supposed to work?

And when you add in…two senators will not vote for a bill unless their state gets more funding for something than any of the other states and this is called compromise! That’s a bunch of bull. In the final analysis I hope that chunk of pork is withdrawn from the pot. How dare they?

What about me? Was anyone concerned about what I thought when I was still willing to think? Probably not and that’s why I’m the way I am today when it comes to politics and all the horrors going on around the world.

What will it take to get both wings working together?
What will it take to get rid of the aisle?
What will it take for me to stop turning my back on all the bad politics, war, genocide, and all the other horrors going on in the world today?

Enough men of good will to bring about peace on earth.

No comments: