Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day Five


Up at a little before 7. I had high hopes I would be able to either ride a trail or maybe walk Coast Guard Beach today. Forget it. Right now (8 am) winds at 20 mph with gusts (already) to 30 mph out of the SSW. It looks like I won’t be able to do much until maybe tomorrow.

(OMG…I saw something out of the corner of my eye and when I focused, here was a spider coming down from the ceiling. I’m not a screamer…I’m a mover. Out of my chair, grab my computer because it was about to be the landing strip, and grab a magazine. No more problem.)

As I was about to say, I’ve about had it with this wind. I guess this will be a day of driving around from Stage Harbor to Provincetown. Now that’s a hunk of real estate! I guess this is the day (maybe) I have my splurge dinner at Napi’s. I have to manage my time well today in order to be hungry in P’town around 5 pm.

While in P’town I want to go to Cuffy’s to see what I can find in the way of cold weather wear. The last time I was there (the weekend I came for poetry last year) I picked up a set (sweats and a matching hooded top) for a total of $19. I wore it a lot last winter. Lord knows I don’t need any more sweatshirts! You never know what I’ll find.

So it’s on to breakfast…I think I will be good this morning and have hot quinoa with sliced apple. I did find some sugar so that is a GO!

Note: quinoa with sugar not as good as quinoa with honey.
Note: just took a good look at my face. Oh, yes. I did get sun warmed yesterday. I wasn’t in the sun that much. Most of my time yesterday was spent on shaded pathways. I guess I’ll put a thin film of sunscreen on today.

As I head out today, I plan to stop at the Sparrow Espresso in Orleans. I understand they are a wi-fi hot spot. Maybe I can connect from the parking lot. I don’t want to go inside because I feel obligated to buy something, and espresso coffee is not what I want or need! ☺

Gassed up: 317.7 miles ÷ 8.453 gal. = 37.584 mpg. I love my Fit Sport!

Did not connect with a hot spot. I guess you have to go inside.

Chatham Light: the cut in the barrier beach is huge. It looks like the surf is breaking out where the barrier used to be. Way to the left (north) there seems to be two houses on the barrier beach still hanging on.

Stage Harbor: I love going up to Stage Harbor. This day I came in on the west end (never did that before) and thus saw homes I had never seen before. These are $2-$5 million homes. Mammoth in size. Breathtaking. Then I went around to the east end…the one that has the sign Private Property. I always seem to get lost trying to find something else and wind up in this private area. Beautiful homes, but none that can compare to the west end.

Monomoy: If you don’t get lost in Stage Harbor you were probably looking for Morris Island and the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge. There is a wooden staircase leading to the beach, but when the tide is high and the surf rough, it’s a bit of a challenge. Going down these steps I realized there was a rhythm: step, step, step...one, two, three. It was a waltz! On the way back from the stairs, I spotted a squirrel, upside down, on the bird feeder (picture will be posted after I get home). Reminded me of that Grey Marauder/Damned Squirrel that was the subject of one of my poems.

Feels like my hair is getting shellacked again! ☺

Back to cottage for lunch: I got back here around 1ish. Had a light lunch and tried to draw up a plan for the afternoon.

My plans are changing as fast as the winds are blowing. I decided to go into P’town this afternoon for shopping (Cabot’s Fudge and Cuffy’s my prime objectives) and save Napi’s for Thursday or Friday night. Winds are currently 22 mph out of the SW in P’town. I’ll try hard not to get blown away. ☺

Can you believe it? I didn’t find anything at Cuffy’s. Last year at this time they had some really great fitted jackets. This year they had more coffee and soup mugs. Well, that saved me some money!

Cabot’s Fudge never fails to satisfy. I have a pound of fudge in the fridge with no intention to even open the bag until I get home. Wish me luck on that one! ☺

Found a hot spot in the parking lot of Dunkin’ Donuts. All I did was post yesterday’s journal. Didn’t check email or fb. I’ll do that tomorrow when I post this one. At least now I don’t have to go in and buy something. Working in the car is a little cramped, though…not the most comfortable.

It’s going to be a warmer night than we’ve had up until now…this week anyway. I’ll leave more windows open tonight, but have my quilt nearby just in case.

Got a look at the full Harvest moon as the season changed from Summer to Fall (on the calendar). The moon was big and beautiful and Jupiter was below it.

No comments: