Friday, September 24, 2010

Day Six



I woke up early enough but just couldn’t (didn’t want to) get out of bed. Finally made it at 6:45. I have big plans for today and need to get a move on. Nothing to hurry over…just keep focused.

The winds have been unmerciful this week. I saw a lot of people bike riding yesterday (all week, actually) in the most unbelievably strong winds. That’s a judgment call based on my ability and willingness to ride in high winds. Yesterday we had 20 mph sustained with gusts to 30+ mph. I saw people of all ages pedaling away. Some looked my age or older. Well, I guess they are either stronger or crazier than I am. I had to be careful not to get blown over the edge of wherever I was standing to take pictures. I could have easily wound up in P’town Harbor or into the waters off Morris Island.

While I’m at it, I want to mention the surf. Was it heavy? Yes. Was it bad? No. It wasn’t the kind of surf that ate away at the dunes (not on the beaches I visited). I have seen worse, where the breakers were crashing right at the base of the dunes and spraying up to the top of Coast Guard Beach observation deck. In that storm, I had to brace myself in order not to be blown into the roiling water. I’ll have to see if I can find those pictures. They were taken with a regular film camera, but I think I have every picture I have ever taken on Cape Cod. ☺

OK. It’s now almost 8 am and I’d better get a move on if I’m going to get ahead of today’s winds…predicted to be 10-20 mph today. I want to be out there while they are 10! ☺

I treated myself to breakfast at van Rensselaer’s restaurant. Then it was on to the challenge of the week. I headed for the Province Lands Bike Trail. I have probably attempted this trail at least 5 times and it has defeated me every time. And every time I was defeated I vowed to never ride this trail again. But of course I did.

There has been a hiatus of five years since I have been to the Cape, and, in that time the bike trail has undergone vast upgrades. Some of the hills were made less severe and some of the curves were re-worked. The trail was widened to 10 feet and sand containment was added where needed.

Well, the trail may be new and improved, but I’m not! ☺☺☺

To make a long ride a short story…I aced it! I had to stop and rest at the top of some hills and stop and rest between some hills. BUT I NEVER WALKED MY BIKE UP ANY HILL!!!!! I met a couple along the way and she was walking her bike up a hill. She said that there was no embarrassment for her to walk a hill. Then I explained that this trail was my nemesis and not walking hills was part of the challenge! Nine and a half miles later I feel that I never need ride this trail again…but, of course I will.

After stopping at Dunkin’ Donuts to post yesterday’s journal I went back to the cottage and showered and snacked. Paul D came by to mow the lawn. I mentioned I hadn’t walked out to Nauset inlet because of the high winds, rough surf and inconvenient tides. Mostly the winds. He told me that the inlet is only about a half to three quarters of a mile from Coast Guard Beach. It has migrated about as far north as it ever does. Even if the winds are a little gusty I can do that! Now I have a plan for tomorrow…my last day here. My goodness the week has gone by fast!

When I came onto the Cape, I bought a cooked ½ chicken, 2 medium potatoes and half a butternut squash. I got four meals out of that…finishing all of it tonight. And it was soooo good!

No comments: