Saturday, September 25, 2010

Day Seven


After a skunky night I was up by 6:45. Once the smell of skunk #1 was gone, and I went back to bed, skunk #2 let go. Grrrrrrr!

Right now it’s 8:45 and breakfast and the dishes are done. What I’m going to carry on my walk will be gathered and I’ll head for Coast Guard Beach.

Once I’m there, I’ll determine whether I leave my shoes and socks at the foot of the ramp or I keep them on. The main reason for wearing my shoes (bike riding Keene Commuters) and socks (Smartwool®) would be if the area right at the water line is sloped toward the water. Walking any distance on that kind of slant is difficult to begin with; being barefoot would make it painful. Plus these shoes are meant to get wet and dry quickly; same for the socks.

The weather is cool, breezy (winds S at 10-20). I will be walking into the wind on my way to Nauset Inlet and it will be at my back when I return. I hope Paul D is right about it being less than a mile! ☺

Here I go. See you later!
*******

I’m back! The walk was perfect…closer to 1 mile out. Nauset Inlet is wider than I’ve ever seen it and more north than I’ve ever seen it. But the Cape beaches are changing all the time. When I post my pictures, you will see how the beach has been cut in layers.

As predicted the wind was in my face as I walked at the water line, south, toward the Inlet. I decided to keep my shoes on to make it easier to walk. Good decision. There were so many things to watch out for: where I was walking, so I wouldn’t trip over a rock or my own feet; where the surf was as it continued rushing at me on the incoming tide; and where was the seal that kept poking it’s head out of the water just to tease me. I’m pleased to report that my feet stayed dry (although it was tempting to walk closer to the water) and I avoided any ass slapping waves sneaking up behind me.

Later this afternoon my plan is to go to Napi’s for my splurge dinner out. I have decided against having lobster because that species is being over fished. Scallops or shrimp will be my choice this evening.

And now, I guess, it’s time to start thinking about going home and getting back into some semblance of a routine. My friend, Dolores, called to ask about going to Shelburne Falls on Sunday, which caused me to call Barbara to see if she was planning on going. This is where I start letting go of My Cape Cod and begin gearing up for My Home Sweet Home. ☺

I did indeed go to Napi’s and had Scallops Provincal. Very good. Would you believe 10 large scallops? I divided the contents of my plate in half…ate half and brought home half. That will be a meal for me tomorrow when I get home. On the way home I noticed it was getting a little foggy. We have warm temps and high dew points, no wonder.

This is the conclusion of my 2010 Cape Cod vacation. It’s been a good week in spite of the high winds all week and inconvenient times for high tides. I was forced to become creative. The only thing I didn’t get to do was ride the Cape Cod Rail Trail from Wellfleet to Dennis. Usually I take two days to do that one. Here’s to next year!

No comments: