Monday, September 20, 2010

Day Two


After a terrible night’s sleep I woke up just before 6 am.

As feared, the mattress was not good. I woke up several times with my back stiff and hurting. At times, during the night, I contemplated leaving early to go home. Yes. For the first time in my life, I was homesick. Is it because I’m getting older? or is it because I love my new home and surroundings so much? Either way, I’d better get over it. ☺

Back to the mattress problem…I have stripped the bed I slept in last night and made up one of the twins. Considering how the other mattresses looked and felt to the hand, this is my last option.

The day is starting sunny and chilly. I am about to get dressed and ride my bike over to the Eastham Superette, about 4 miles from here, to get the Sunday paper.

Right now, it’s 7:20 am and I put the little space heater in the livingroom/diningroom/kitchen area and it has warmed up nicely. This is where I will get dressed.

While riding to get the Sunday paper Paul D called (he owns the cottage) to let me know the Dunkin’ Donut in Wellfleet (new…on Rt. 6 next to the Post Office) was a wi-fi hot spot. I will check them out tonight and post yesterday’s journal. Will also take care of email and FB.

That was a round trip of 8.59 miles. Once I got out on my bike my feelings of homesick vanished. Ah! The freedom of the open road! ☺

While riding on the Rail Trail back to the cottage, I was thinking about the lousy mattress I slept on last night, when it occurred to me that our service men and women serving in Iraq and Afghanistan (including my grandson, Joe) probably would welcome that mattress. Who knows what they have to sleep on. I guess I won’t be complaining about my lack of creature comforts.

By 9:30 I was having breakfast. No toaster, so I used the toaster oven. It made better toast than the toaster I have at home. Maybe I should try my toaster oven! Breakfast was toast, 2 eggs over easy, and 3 heat ‘n serve sausages (that I bought at the Superette).

At 11 am I left on my bike and rode to Nauset Light Beach. Just like yesterday there was a line of cars moving slowly, but there was no one on the bike path. Ha, ha! You can’t stop me.

The surf was up, but I’ve seen it worse. If the outer beaches are going to have anything from Hurricane Igor, it will have to be tomorrow.

From Nauset, I went back to the rail trail and rode over to the National Seashore Visitors’ Center and picked up the bike path that goes to Coast Guard Beach. Today, just like yesterday parking was for handicapped only. But, here again, the bike path could not be stopped. Of course, bikes did not take up parking spaces.

I took pictures at both beaches, but will have to wait to post them…probably on face book.

I took the rail trail back to the cottage. 15.4 miles. Add that to the 8.59 I did earlier and I put some nice mileage on my bike…to say nothing of my body! ☺

Some frozen yogurt, a shower (outside shower), and a nap and I’m ready to go again. Found the Dunkin’ Donuts with no problem and posted yesterday’s journal. Because I was dropping battery power something fierce, I opted not to post pictures. Tomorrow I will bring my power cord. Also was not able to send emails. I received fine, but could not send. I have two in the hopper waiting. I’ll see if they go tomorrow. I may have to use my Yahoo email account to see if that will send.

And another day is coming to an end. I hope I sleep better tonight!

(I will post a photo narrative after I get home. You will just have to wait! ☺☺)

No comments: