Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Bird Feeder Frenzy

Photo
Bird feeder

They were waiting for me
I finally went to Ag-Way and bought the sunflower seeds for my bird feeder. It looks like our weather will be turning a little more seasonal and the birds will be needing something to eat. It didn’t take them long to find the feeders.

I put the feeders out first, then went to buy the seed. When I came home, the chickadees were already hovering and the nuthatches were clinging to the tree. As I reeled the filled feeder out toward the tree (I hang it from a clothesline) the birds immediately swarmed it and were feeding before I could get it all the way out. Click on the picture to enlarge it and you will see the chickadee on the right perch. Another is on the bar above the feeder.

I wish I could have captured the scene later in the day when a half dozen goldfinch were lined up on perch, feeding. Waiting in the wings, I should say on the perch extensions, were several titmice, nuthatches and a Downey woodpecker. The blue jays were around, but only to harass.

What kind of winter?
The yellow feeder contains thistle seeds for the goldfinch, yet, this year, I see the chickadees eating thistle. They aren't supposed to like it. Observing the feeding behavior of the birds, the greatly increased activity of the squirrels, and noting the abundance of fall berries this year, it all seems to point to a severe winter. What do you think?

No comments: