Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Local Wildlife

Photo
This chipmunk was photographed by my friend Jon when we hiked Wolf Den in Pomphret. You may have to click on the photo to enlarge it in order to see the chippy.


Wildlife abounds

I have written a lot lately about the woolly bears, but they are not the only examples of wildlife around here.


When I went to bed after Game Four of the World Series I was sure I wouldn’t be able to sleep. My mind active with the joy of My Team being the Victors.
Suddenly I sat bolt upright in bed. What. What was that? For the first time ever here at home, I heard coyotes yipping. It was hard to tell where they were—and there were more than one. I really think they were happy about the World Series results, too. I have heard coyotes on the Cape, but never here at home.

I also saw a robin the other day. I had been wondering lately if they were going to stick around this year as they had the last two. Since I had not seen any for a while I assumed they got the memo about the cold snowy winter coming and headed south. I don’t know what this guy was doing here. Maybe he stayed behind to pick off all the woolly bears that were predicting a mild winter.

Then there is that mouse in my house. I cleaned up mouse droppings on the ledge next to the fireplace and put down a packet of Tom Cat. That was before I saw the darned thing run first one way along the base of the sliders then a couple hours later hightailing it in the other direction. This is the time it ran over the packet of Tom Cat I had placed there, too. I might have seen it again the next night, but I’m not that sure. Darn thing moves so fast. I also saw something outside on the patio run past the sliders. Could have been the mouse. I have not seen it since and no packets of Tom Cat have been touched. If it doesn’t like living conditions here that’s just fine with me. It can get out and stay out.


We used to have a fox. That’s the one I saw being chased by the big butterscotch yellow cat. It may not be part of our neighborhood any more. Who would want to stick around with such a bully living in the area?


We also have an owl. This is the first time since we’ve moved here (14 years) that I’ve heard an owl at night. Not every night, but it will hoot two or three nights in a row then I won’t hear it for a week or so, then it comes back. Let’s hope the owl gets to meet the mouse.


I have a back yard chipmunk that lives in the wood pile and I have a front steps chipmunk that lives under the front steps and the front walk. In winter, when there is snow on the walkway, a melted spot will form. I’m guessing that’s where the main living quarters are.

Of course, because of the bird feeder I have lots of nut hatch, chickadee, junco, purple finch, tit mouse, gold finch, woodpeckers, blue jays and mourning dove.


Squirrels
. How could I possibly forget the squirrels. They cannot get into the bird feeder, however. It’s the kind where the door drops over the seed tray if something heavy gets on the perch. Now that the squirrels know, they hardly ever try.


The mourning doves, however, will sit on each side of the perch staring at the seed tray that they can’t get into because they are so heavy the door closed when they landed on the perch! Mourning doves have to be the most unconscious of all the feathered ones.

No comments: