Monday, October 1, 2007

Baseball and Witches

Photo
New England Roadside.
On a back road in Enfield I found the roadside stand and tobacco shed. Nothing like mums, pumpkins and tobacco drying in a shed to depict autumn in Connecticut's Tobacco Valley.

Red Sox Triumph
Last Friday night’s baseball games could not have been more exciting. First the Red Sox beat Minnesota 5-2. When the game ended the fans did not leave Fenway. The Yankee game was put up on the big Jumbotron and the Sox fans and team watched and waited to see what would happen in Baltimore. Mario Rivera blew a 3 run lead to tie the game at 9 in the 9th. Into the 10th we go. NY had the bases loaded with 2 outs in the top of the 10th and couldn’t plate any more runs. Up comes Baltimore. Two out in the bottom of the 10th, bases loaded. The Yankee infield and outfield were way back expecting an attempt for an over-the-wall. And what does Melvin Mora do? HE BUNTS! Before the Yankees could react, the winning run had scored giving the RED SOX THE EASTERN DIVISION TITLE! First time since 1995. The fans in Fenway were rewarded for sticking around.

What about my prediction that after the All Star Game the Sox would take their annual dive? I was wrong! ☺ ☺ I couldn’t be happier.

This was my Saturday (or at least part of it):
Holistic Health Fair at Unity Church. There were plenty of vendors, many of whom I knew. It was fun to stop in, say hello and see what they were displaying on their tables. One table had a quartz crystal wand that had some serious energy! The only thing I bought was a bottle of local, raw honey.

Craft Fair at St. Francis of Assisi. After the Holistic Health Fair, I went less than a mile south and walked through the church fair. I met a couple of people I knew, but, not being a “crafty” person, I made a quick sweep through this one and headed for Wethersfield.

Witch Walk in Wethersfield. This was next on my list. It was a walk that highlighted the 1660s witch-hunt phenomenon and one alleged witch. Quoting The Hartford Courant, “…Katherine Harrison, who was accused of witchcraft and eventually banished from her home in Wethersfield. Harrison is portrayed as a woman pushing against the boundaries of Puritan society. She rose from servant to widowed landowner of substantial wealth. She was interested in astrology and fortunetelling. She spoke her mind more freely than women were allowed in 17th century Connecticut.” Given this criteria, except for the widowed, wealthy part, I can see some parallels in my life – being shunned because of my interest in astrology and the intuitive arts. In this lifetime, at least, I wasn’t hanged, dunked or burned at the stake. In this lifetime I have found many kindred Souls.

As I headed to Wethersfield, I search for my cell phone. Not there. Pulled over to the side of the highway and really searched. Not there. Turned around and went back to Unity. I had the phone in my jacket pocket and I remember taking my jacket off because it was so warm in there. The phone must have fallen out. No luck. No phone. So I alerted a couple of people and went home. I wanted to get my landline off Forward (to my cell) and I wanted to call my cell to see if anyone would answer. Sure enough. My hiking buddy Jon answered. I had put my cell phone down on one of the tables and walked away. Sounds like me. I went right back to the church to get the darned phone. When I got there a free lecture on a particular meditation technique I’ve been interested in was just starting and I popped in to listen. It was now too late to get to Wethersfield in time. I guess the Witches of Wethersfield did not want me in their town today. ☺ Do you suppose they objected to all that energy I picked up from the quartz crystal wand. Hmmm.

No comments: