Thursday, November 8, 2007

From Mice to Bike Riding

Photo
What's left of the Enfield (CT) dam at the beginning of the CT River rapids. If it wasn't for the rapids, there would be no Windsor Locks/Suffield canal or bike path (which will be closing Nov. 14 or 15 for the winter).

This is War!
If there is one thing I can’t stand is a mouse thumbing its nose at me (or worse). When I went to look at the packet of Tom Cat® I had put under a flowerpot outside, I found it unopened and covered with mouse droppings. The ultimate insult!


It’s been several days now since I have seen any droppings so I’m convinced it (they) are out of the house. Many thanks to Anonymous (or should that have been A Nony Mouse?) for your suggestions on how to rid myself of these pests. I have taken the most direct route. I know I have mice living under my front steps, and that’s where I feed them Decon®. I just spoon it into a crack between my sidewalk and the steps. In a matter of minutes (if I go back and check) the Decon® is gone. My mice have more respect for that than they do for Tom Cat®. As soon as the Decon® remains untouched, I’ll stop spooning it in.


Come Ride With Me

The edits are done and the draft copy is ready to be printed. I will take it to Staples to price the job. It might be cheaper to have them print it (it’s 63 pages x 12 copies!). Last year, when I produced Vol. I, I did it all myself. It was a true labor of love. When I figured out the cost, it came to about $25/book including ink, paper, 3-ring binders and sheet protectors. That didn’t include time. Vol. II should be about the same.


Happenings
On Tuesday I had Breakfast with the Girls. We are high school classmates who get together every two months for breakfast at a local diner and have formed a strong network of friendship and support for each other. If one of us finds we have a need, we know we can call any one from the group and get help. It’s comforting to know there is someone out there you can call on in an emergency or even a long-term need.

I’m still hanging laundry, but I think today may be the last time for anything but sheets. Shorter days, weaker sunshine and not enough wind all contribute to needing to use the dryer now. However, I have saved a bundle by not using the dryer going back to June.

This coming Saturday, there is an electronics recycling collection event at the Trash Museum on Murphy Road in Hartford. I have a load of stuff going down.


If the weather holds I will try to get a bike ride in on Sunday. I need to find the time to clean my chain, etc., so I can start using a cold weather lubricant. It’s no fun trying to pedal in cool/cold weather when you’re using a wax-based chain lubricant!

No comments: