Saturday, November 10, 2007

Recycling and Hiking








































Photos

Trash Museum entrance and entrance to Temple of Trash inside.
The other two photos were taken behind the Audubon Center in Glastonbury. The yellow painted words on the front of the bridge says, “DANGER KEEP OFF.” You gotta do what ya gotta do. Click on the photos to enlarge.

Trash Museum
Jon and I took a load of old computer equipment to the Electronic Recycling event this morning. The Trash Museum was open in honor of America Recycles Day and of course we had to go in. At the inside entrance, the Temple of Trash was still a big attraction consisting of examples of some of the stuff people have tried to recycle but are not acceptable. We just recently started recycling cereal boxes and the like. Back in the viewing area overlooking the tipping floor everything was quiet. I hoped to see the new machinery working, but I’ll have to go back another day. ☺

Great day for a hike
After recycling we went over the river to Glastonbury and did some hiking down behind the Audubon Center on Main St. What a perfect day for a hike in the woods. Temperature around 45°, beautiful blue sky and while we were in the woods there was very little wind. We were unable to access the Connecticut River so we doubled back to the parking lot and drove to an area that looked more hopeful. We finally did reach the river at the entrance to Keeney Cove.

By the time we got back to the car my pants were covered with “stickers”, those small (about 1/4"), triangular in shape with two prongs at the bottom. I can’t find the plant these come from in my reference book. They’re not burrs. The plant stands about 18” high and these stickers are arranged in a circular, downward facing arrangement. Thank goodness I was wearing layers. I was able to take the pants off and turn them inside out before getting back in the car. I hung the pants out on the line when I got home and will deal with the stickers tomorrow. It was interesting to note they did not stick to the canvas fishing vest I was wearing. If you know the plant these come from please leave me a message in “Comments”.

Come Ride With Me
I went to Staples yesterday to price the printing of my Christmas book and they can do it for lots less than I can. Last year I did it all myself as a labor of Love. This year it’s: been there, done that, don’t need to do it again. I’ll put the entire job on a CD and take it over to Staples on Monday.

No comments: