Saturday, November 17, 2007

Saturday Morning Walk



















Photos

Oriole nest seen on the Windsor Locks Canal bike path. It's not unusual to hear and see Orioles when biking the path in spring and summer. Now we get a chance to see their nests. Click on the photos to enlarge.

It's good to get out and walk
It’s 9 a.m. on a gorgeous Saturday morning. Temps in the mid 20s, clear blue sky, and yesterday’s gale force winds are gone! Just got back from a 2-mile walk. I haven’t walked in the morning for quite some time. Last year in October I hurt my hip so walking hurt. I didn’t let that stop me from hiking once a week, though. ☺ Then it was bike riding and hiking season from March until now. Although I hope to get some bike riding in over the next few months, the chances of the temps being warm enough and the road conditions being good enough are slim to none. Now is the time of year where I get out my hand weights (I have leg weights, too) and yoga mat for strength training indoors. I’ll try to alternate my indoor routine with my morning walk every other day. Much will depend on the weather.

A couple years ago, on just such a walk, I was inspired to write the following poem:

Morning Walk


As I crested the hill
a carpet of grass stretched before me
each blade topped with a twinkling diamond

Breeze-caressed
sun-drenched blades of grass

colors within dewdrop prisms
changed slowly
no two drops the same


Deep blue sky
not a cloud to be seen

glorious sun
birds sang their gratitude

squirrels paused in awe of this morning's beauty

A prayer of thanksgiving
offered to the Sun
Sustainer of all life

I went to church this morning
God was there
At the top of the hill

© Beverly R. Titus
04/29/05

No comments: