Friday, November 30, 2007

Woods vs. Blue Back Square




















Photo
Dunhamville Forest cemetery on the left. Jon and the obelisk on the right.

Walking in the woods
Yesterday Jon and I went walking out Mansfield way. We did a short walk south from Eagleville Dam along the Willimantic River. It was a pleasant, easy walk of about 1 mile.
From there we drive east to Dunham Woods, which became Dunhamville Forest. Well marked with yellow blazes to start, becoming yellow/white blazed, and ending as a white blaze the trail was easy to follow. This was one of the Joshua tract walks. In total, we did just under 4.5 miles. A little more than we usually do.

The Joshua Tract walk-book we were using as our guide, described a small cemetery that is said to have 4 unmarked graves. Surrounded by a substantial stone wall, it’s hard to miss. We had no problem finding the “obelisk”, either. It looked like it was created by man. One side of the stone looked like it had been dressed. We surmised it was left there because it was too big and too heavy to move. What we didn’t find was the two old house foundations and the old well.


The insanity of shopping
Today I went out to West Hartford center to do some shopping. I was focused on two stores so I didn’t do the Blue Back Square tour. I needed to go to Whole Foods for my Quinoa and REI for some special gifts for my three youngest grandsons. I will be going back to REI during a quieter time of the year to really go through their bike section. I have never seen such a variety of chain lubricants. I need to talk to them about bikes, frames, racks, front and rear panniers, etc., etc. Depending on what I find, this could become my new toy store. It might be worth becoming a REI Co-op member. I didn’t know until today they were a co-op.


Park me free
One big drawback to Blue Back Square and downtown West Hartford in general (you might include Hartford) is the lack of FREE parking. I’m spoiled by the suburban malls, and I do not pay for parking. I won’t drive into Hartford if I have to pay for parking. I’ll park at Great Meadow in East Hartford and walk across the Founders’ Bridge (or ride my bike) rather than pay for parking. Whole Foods has free parking for their customers—and you better shop in their store if you park in their lot. I was told they have people watching and had cars towed.


A walk in the woods was way more pleasant! ☺ ☺

No comments: