Sunday, December 30, 2007

Happy New England Sports Fan

Photo
This is the picture that appeared in the Reminder News along with a story about my bike riding.

A full day of exciting sports—that was Saturday (yesterday).

UConn football team played Wake Forest in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, NC. UConn didn’t win, but just to be there was an honor.

Then the UConn women’s basketball team took on Coach Jen Rizzoti and the Hartford Hawks. UConn ran all over them. You have to feel sorry for teams like the Hawks who are 0-9 against UConn. To save face, the other team usually says they took a lot away from this game that they can use to make them better in their own league/division. The Hartford Hawks are at the top of the America East League. They are good. They just aren’t UConn.

And, THE PATRIOTS barely beat the Giants. It was one of the best games I’ve seen Eli Manning play. Now he needs receivers who can hang onto the ball. I had a feeling the Giants were not going to roll over for the Pats. If the Giants had not dropped so many passes, the result might have been different!

Change of subject
I DID go for a bike ride today! Temperature in the low 40s, wind-chill around 34°. I had three layers on my legs and four layers on my upper body plus a quilted vest. Everything but my arms was quite comfortable. Now I know what I need for a cold/cool weather riding jacket. I also need a helmet cover and shoe covers. I doubt I get that this season. I think my riding days are over until spring. However, if all goes well maybe I can pick up some of this equipment on sale by that time. Now I know that if a day comes along that’s 40°, little or no wind and the roads are in decent shape, I can go for a ride. I’m excited.

The stats for this year’s bike riding are as follows:

1,129 miles since March 27th.

I spent 116 hours pedaling so that makes my over-all average speed just under 10 mph. Not spectacular, but when I think of the hills I’ve walked and the hills I’ve ridden up at 3-5 mph, I’m happy my average is 10 mph.


Another subject change

Friday afternoon (12/28) I went down to Johnnie’s service station to have my front tires checked. I was pretty sure I needed new ones. This coming Wednesday morning he will put two new tires on the front. The back tires are still ok.

No comments: