Saturday, December 8, 2007

Working with Toys for Tots

Photo
In the spring of 2006 the pair of osprey on the CT shoreline snagged some poor kid's blue teddy bear. The bear stayed in the nest until early Sept. when the remnants of Hurricane Oscar blew it off - never to be seen again. This photo was captured from the Audubon osprey cam web site.


Toys for Tots

Today Kathy and I went to Plainville, CT to help the Marine Corps do Toys for Tots. Our job was to fill “orders” from the bins, which have toys according to gender and age. A good friend, Jim, (a Marine of course) is in charge of the program. After I saw him interviewed on TV and knowing the urgent need for volunteers, how could I not respond!


Kathy and I put in a full 4 hours before we had to leave. Some of the bags were quite heavy by the time we filled them, so Kathy would help me drag them to where they needed to be. At different times we worked as a team: I would hold the bag and she would fill. She became the “Dragin Lady” and I was the “Bag Lady”. We’ll go back again next Saturday to help finish the job. Thanks to me, Jim’s parents were able to surprise him by showing up ready to help. I emailed them with the info. Since they live in way upstate NY that was quite a surprise!

No comments: