Sunday, December 2, 2007

BOOM! Wake up!


Photo
Since today wants to be unusual I thought this tree fit the mood. It's located deep in the Dunhamville Forest. I just take pictures, I can't always explain 'em.☺☺

Not my usual wake-up call

My Sunday morning started at 6:43 with a rumble and a boom and a flash of light. I jumped out of bed thinking the transformer directly across the street had blown (again), but all was quiet. Hmmmmm. Since I was up, I might as well stay up. Out to the kitchen to turn on my coffee pot. There’s my mother all a twitter about the leaves on the corner being on fire. I looked and sure enough they were. 911. They already knew about it. Then I saw the guy from across the intersection coming over with a rake. I called out to him to let him know the fire department was on their way. He said it was a squirrel that got itself fried and proceeded to snuff out the flames by raking the burning leaves onto the road. It’s a good thing he was out there because it took the fire department at least 20 minutes to show up. I’m hoping the response would have been faster had it been a house fire.


A gang of crows

About an hour later, there were six crows surveying my back yard in the vicinity of the bird feeder. After they finished fighting over all the bread crusts they started on the dropped seeds on the ground. The seed-eating was most unusual. They don’t normally bother with seeds. Bread crumbs and crusts is their usual interest and road kill, of course. Hey, guys! I know where there’s some fried squirrel! They can’t hear me. Crows are so difficult to communicate with. It’s the attitude they strut around with. They intimidate by size alone, not like the blue jays who attack and screech at all the smaller feathered ones.


Another year

Here it is, December. Where did this year go? As of this moment (early Sunday morning) we are expecting some messy weather between now and tomorrow morning. Yesterday I made sure we had all the essentials in case the roads get bad. I think I’ll go out to Agway this morning to get more thistle for the birds and top off the gas can in case I need to use the snow blower. Other than that, it’s college basketball and pro football for the remainder of the day.

No comments: