Saturday, December 22, 2007

Reading Nature

Photo
The icy Scantic River in Enfield.

"Guests fly in for winter get together" by Steve Grant.
This story in today’s Hartford Courant is exactly what I’ve been talking about when it comes to this winter’s weather— northern birds coming way south. I hate to say I told you so, but here it is. Things up north this winter will be very difficult for birds. I saw my October birds in my yard in August. Do not believe the Woolly Bears, people. They are trying to deceive you into thinking all is well when it is not! ☺☺ (I hope you realize I’m only kidding. I don’t go for that Mother Nature Conspiracy Theory)

It is interesting, however, to see that there are certain things in Nature, if we would observe with understanding, that tell us what’s going on – or will be. Hopefully you will get to read the story and start to read Mom Nature.

Family Christmas
The kids are coming over this afternoon for Family Christmas. I’ve already warned my mother that the thermostat will have to be lowered around noon to give the house a chance to cool down before everyone gets here. Part of Andy’s gift has not arrived yet, and it’s probably the serious gift since the other two seem to be jokes. Nothing I can do about it now. Anne will have to research it with the shipper.

Speaking of Anne, she and the boys will not be with us this year for Family Christmas. They will be going to Chicago to spend Christmas with Rick’s folks. We will see them, hopefully, in February. I sent the boys’ gifts to their house so they will have them Christmas morning. I will give them their copies of Come Ride With Me when they come here. It would have cost too much to mail them.

No comments: