Saturday, September 8, 2007

Bike Hartford

Photos
Stretch
Kara Sundlun, Dennis House and their baby, Helena
First rest stop







Registration tents

Last call!

Line up








(OK. Having a little problem getting the photos to go where I want them. Another kink. But I think you can figure it out.)

I parked my car at Great River Park in East Hartford and rode into the city over the Founders Bridge to Bushnell Park. The registration area was choked with bikes and riders—I couldn’t help but think of the Sargasso Sea choked with seaweed. I saw a lot of people with yellow wristbands. I don’t know what that was all about since I never got one.


At the starting line we were introduced to all sorts of dignitaries. WFSB, Channel 3 anchors, Dennis House and Kara Sundlun (and their baby Helena) are excellent ambassadors for the city of Hartford. They made the waiting to ge
t going enjoyable.

The ride was not a race; however it was soon evident the riders in the front of the line were jackrabbits. I fell back to the middle of the pack rather rapidly.
We wove our way through the south end of the city zig zagging first east through the Charter Oak neighborhood, Dutch Point, then west through Colt Park. Continuing west we found ourselves in the vicinity of Trinity College and then turning into Cedar Hill Cemetery.

As we exited the cemetery, we approached our first rest stop. By this time I know I’m in trouble and need to cool down and have the Gatorade I brought with me. I found a shady spot and cracked open the Gatorade and chowed down a couple of energy bars being handed out. Then it was time for a bottle of cold water. I poured it down my front, back, arms and splashed my face. Ahhhh! That felt better. Then the box of bananas arrived. I had one of those, too. After about 20 minutes I was feeling much better. My electrolytes have been replaced and the body has cooled down. It was here I decided I would not do the 25 miles I signed up for.

By the time the 25 milers went left and the 10 milers went right, I knew there was no way I could go 15 more miles.
Once back at Bushnell Park I was able to rest again before heading back to East Hartford and my car.

The temperature was climbing up to the 90° mark and the humidity was way up, too.


I made a lot of fast friends though—most everyone rode faster than me! ☺


The volunteers and Hartford police did a great job keeping us safe at so many intersections. A big thanks to all of them.


My total mileage, round trip: 15.7 miles
Average speed: 8.65 (That surprises me because I felt the pace was pretty fast, especially in the beginning. I guess I lost ground on those hills. Who knew Hartford has hills?!)


I hope they do this again next year, but later in the month or in October when it’s cooler. Plus, this time next year I’ll be starting Day 8 of my Erie Canal bike path ride with one day to go and obviously not able to Bike Hartford.

No comments: