Tuesday, September 25, 2007

This and That

Photo
Blue Heron
How do you like this guy? It’s a blue heron I observed in the Farmington River down by Bart’s on my bike ride yesterday. A lot of what you see in the water is reflection from the opposite bank. The river is quite low. Bart’s, on Route 159 in Windsor, right on the Farmington River, is a take-out restaurant that pretty much caters to boaters and fishermen, traveling salesmen and an occasional bike rider like me. They have dogs, burgers, hot and cold drinks, chips, etc. On weekends you are apt to find groups of motorcyclists stopping for coffee and grub. There is a boat launch and a few picnic tables in the shade or with umbrellas. It’s a great place to rest and just watch the river flow by. I wonder if this is the same heron I’ve seen in the ponds over at Loomis Chaffee School further down-river.


Yard Work
I mowed the front lawn today, probably for the last time this year. It’s been so dry it hasn’t been mowed for a month and barely showed growth. The grass was green, but dry, and didn’t accumulate under the mower making a mess for me to clean out before putting the mower away. There was no juice in the grass at all.

What about the rest of the lawn? Low growing weeds and moss doesn't need mowing.

Not too long from now I’ll be getting out the leaf blower. The leaves are falling without changing color. There are a lot of dry, brown leaves on the ground. Even though the leaves started changing early this year, that process seems to have come to a halt and everything is just falling as is. With the number of trees surrounding my yard I will have a lot of work to do.

Back to summer
It is rather amazing to think we will have temperatures in the upper 80s today and tomorrow, so late in September.

I hope the winter is mild. I would like to do some bike riding this winter as long as the sides of the roads are not icy. That, I guess, would mean not much snow and the farmers would not like that. Can’t please everyone.


Baseball
The Sox didn’t play yesterday and the Yanks lost. Back to 2 games. I can’t stand this.

No comments: