Friday, September 28, 2007

Wrapping Up September
















Photos
Left is the ferry leaving the Rocky Hill landing. Photo on right looks like Jon is driving the ferry as it approaches the Glastonbury landing—trust me, he wasn't.

Ending on a busy note
The month of September was filled with activity—mostly urban hiking and bike riding. As a matter of fact I spent a lot of time in Old Wethersfield doing just that. I want to spend more time there gathering information on an article I want to write (maybe two articles). I think the best surprise of the month was finding that dirt road from Wethersfield to the Rocky Hill ferry landing. That could be a great bike ride if there was bike path across the Putnam Bridge from Glastonbury to Wethersfield. Such a path is being discussed.

Busy weekend coming up
Today I’ll go to the new L. L. Bean store at Evergreen Walk and look at some outdoor clothes that will make cool weather hiking easier. I need one of those hunting or fishing vests with all the pockets to carry my wallet, camera, cell phone and water bottle. Then I need a pair of pants that will be warm and lightweight, but allow a lot of freedom of movement. I’ve seen what I think will do the job in the on-line catalogue but I want to look at them and try on if necessary. It’s such a hassle having to send things back – even though LLB is offering FREE shipping with no minimum order.

Tomorrow, Saturday, there is a holistic fair going on at Unity Church in South Windsor. I expect there will be lots of people I know and it’s always nice to stop in and say hello. I will probably have lunch there before I go to Wethersfield for a 1 p.m. walking tour starting at the Bottulph-Williams house. The annual “Scarecrows Along Main Street” will also be going on. I’ve never seen this and should have many photo ops.

Sunday will no doubt be taken up by a good long bike ride. The weather will be in the 70s and perfect for riding.

Until I see you in October, have a good weekend. Try to get outside and enjoy this spectacular weather while we have it.

No comments: