Sunday, September 23, 2007

Interesting Bike Ride

Photo
Nauset Light and Coastguard Beach, Cape Cod. Inspired the following poem:

Nauset Light

beacon
perched atop sandy bluff
beam of comfort

for those seeking safe passage


warn
of rocky shoals and shifted bars

mourn
for those who are now
memories


stealthy
fog creeps in from where

waves crest

conceals ghostly shapes of ships
and Souls

lost in these shallow waters

marked by red light

white light
red light
white light

© Beverly R. Titus
02/02/07


See what seven grandchildren will do for you

I rode my bike from Scantic to visit my grandson in Hazardville. On the way back, I stopped at a gas station up on Rte 190 to check the air in my tires. There was a very nice looking young man at the air compressor putting air in the tires of his pickup.


He handed me the air hose telling me to go ahead since I only had 2 tires and he had 4. That was nice of him.


As I’m filling the second tire he says, “Are you married?”

I say, “No.”
He says, “Have you ever been married?”

And I say, “Yes. I have 4 children and 7 grandchildren.”

“Hm. 7 grandchildren.”


That was the end of the conversation.
I’m not sure what he was selling, but it took 7 grandchildren to take the air out of that deal.

I rode away chuckling to myself.

No comments: