Monday, September 17, 2007

What Season Is It Anyway?

Photo
I titled this photo "Shimmer." It shows the reflection of changing leaf color as reflected in the Podunk River where it crosses under Old Main St., South Windsor.

Changing Seasons
We’re coming into the time of year where you can go through 3 or 4 wardrobe changes in one day. It may feel like winter when you get up, spring by mid-morning, summer by lunch time then by mid-afternoon we start going back through the seasons to feeling like winter again by the time you good to bed. I get to thinking about swapping my summer clothes for winter clothes, but by the middle of the week we will be back to summer. What to do?

Being a procrastinator solves the problem. By the time I actually do something about this, it will be well into the cool/cold weather so putting the summer stuff away will not pose a problem.


Bird Feeders, Birds and Squirrels
It’s also time to think about getting the bird feeder cleaned up and out on the line. I have a clothesline from the patio out to a tree and it’s perfect for hanging the feeder. I will fill it with sunflower seeds (no shells), then hang a thistle feeder from the bottom of the big feeder to keep the large flock of goldfinch happy. My feeders have been in the garage so are kind of spider webby by now and have to be cleaned.
The big feeder is squirrel-proof. A cover comes down over the feeding tray if a squirrel (or big, heavy bird) steps on the perch.

Grey Marauder/Damn Squirrel
There was one squirrel 2 winters ago that was bigger than your average squirrel and could drape his body from the top of the feeder (where he could hook his back leg) over the edge and, thus suspended, could feed to his heart’s content. I bought a really big water gun to do battle with the varmint. Yeh. He would run when hit with a stream of water. He also had a short memory. I used more water on him than he was worth. Last winter he didn’t come back. I must assume either my neighbors caught him and took him away to another state, or he went up in squirrel Nirvana. I even wrote a poem about our many encounters, but it's too long to reprint here.


Now What?

But first I need to find out why the Check Engine light keeps going on in my car. What’s that all about?

No comments: