Friday, January 18, 2008

Exceptional Poetry

Photo
I call this photo "Frozen Wind." Click on the photo to enlarge and better see how the ice has been pushed by the wind toward the river's east bank in rows. The photo was taken on the CT River from the Stebbin's Wildlife Preserve in Longmeadow, MA.

Wish granted, sorta
I posted a few days ago, I needed good weather for Thursday night. I had good weather when I left home and lightly snowing when I came back. My destination was Wintonbury Library in Bloomfield for the Poetry Series.

The featured reader, Kathryn Kelly, and the assemblage of readers for open mic, made the evening memorable. Three new readers graced our midst giving us the opportunity to listen to new voices.
The evening, dedicated to the memory of poet Hugh Ogden, was one of those rare events where every poem read by every poet was exceptional. The theme chosen for the evening was “Teachers and Spirit Guides.” It was a privileged to be among these excellent poets.

My muse went on sabbatical in July of ’07 leaving me with no new poetry – not even a grain of inspiration. However, she returned on Christmas day with gifts – two new poems. I’ve written five new poems since then, so I guess she’s really back. Where did she go? She’s not talking. She feels bringing back inspiration is enough and the rest is none of my business. ☺

No comments: