Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tilly, God Bless Her, Has Passed

Tilly was a resident at the same nursing home as my mother. If Tilly had lived, she would have been 102 this coming June. Her daughter-in-law is a high school classmate of mine. So, Tilly felt like family.

Up to about a month ago, when she hurt her knee, you would see Tilly motoring up and down the halls with her walker. She was the first one to the dining room for her meals. And Tilly could bowl! Yes, they bowl in the nursing home…not the same as we would, but it’s bowling none-the-less.

Tilly passed on Wednesday, March 10th, around 11:30 a.m. with her family by her side. Wednesday afternoon is when residents go bowling. They debated as to whether to go forward or cancel, but decided to go forward because that’s what Tilly would have wanted.

My mother, age 97, who also bowls, was in the room next to Tilly and greatly admired Tilly’s bowling ability. That day of Tilly’s passing my mother dedicated her bowling score to Tilly, and bowled her personal best…a 54. I told her she should dedicate her score to Tilly every week!

When I got up Thursday morning I didn’t know Tilly had passed, but she was on my mind. As I thought of her, a feeling of deep peace came over me. I thought that no matter if Tilly was still here or had passed, she was peaceful. Two hours latter I learned of her passing.

And so, Tilly, God Bless You. You had a good life and affected so many people with your love and kindness and your example.

No comments: